
Your neighbors called. They like your music.
Those were listed on ebay before....... I don't know what to think.
Audio_by_Goodwill
Michigan, USA
"The speakers look like a piece of history as they are."![]()
Sorry....but not the sort of thing I'd be putting in my listening room.
........but maybe the workshop? They'd look pretty cool there.

For the price, I'll pass
But if I scored them at a studio closeout I would be bragging....![]()
Your neighbors called. They like your music.
pretty good... and hi everyone - my first post here...
this was my reply to an email I got about these early last month - he never got back to me - not unusual - but I see he pretty much clipped my email as his description but never settled the unknown, which is ... what and where are the crossovers...
On Apr 7, 2010, at 3:50 PM, John Klett wrote:
those look like G or H, the basket is later than E
my impression is that these are Altec 612 cabinets that originally had some earlier version 604's in them someone emptied them out, pulled out the grills, painted them flat black, and installed the components you would find in an original UREI 811 loudspeaker...
when the original UREI 81x series came into being they were selling the horns and crossover networks for upgrades of existing 604's. Those would be compatible with 604-8G and 604-8H. When UREI moved to the A version (811A, etc) that stopped.
If these got the full treatment there will be a couple additional boxes that would comprise the UREI 828 crossover network... which could be mounted on or in the cabinets or be outboard. These need the correct networks to be used - there are a few possibilities but they have to be located and identified.
The Elektra sticker looks like an inventory sticker from Elektra, the label or their studios... meaningless as far is what the speaker is, but cool for someone who cares about pedigree.
The speakers look like a piece of history as they are.
The first version of the UREI horn was a little rough sounding... personally I'd want to knock that off and glue something else in place of it but you'll probably want to leave them as-is and just repair them to be what they are...
find the cross-overs
Klett
On Apr 7, 2010, at 1:37 PM, Jacob Thomas wrote:
-615-727-4680Hello there, I came across your page because I work for a privately owned used music reseller & we recently came across a pair of studio monitors that belonged to David Malloy who was a producer who worked with a ton of people here in Nashville from the late 60's to the 80's. The monitor cabinets are signed by a bunch of people he worked with from eddie rabbit & tanya tucker to Luther Vandross. I am trying to figure out what kind of speakers these are. I came across your page and thought I'd shoot you an email to see if there was an insight you might be able to shed on the situation. i was told that they might be Altec 604-b's or 604-e's with Urei horn's. I would greatly appreciate any input you might have to offer. i'll attach some pictures so you can get a better idea. On the back of the speaker is says (Elektra serial # 1294 10-02-03-348). Thanks again for your time.
-Jacob Thomas
[FONT="Arial Black"]
john klett
[url]www.johnklett.com[/url]
[url]www.technicalaudio.com[/url][/FONT]
Bookmarks